Creamy Potato Kielbasa and Kale Soup
From a Chef's Kitchen
Creamy Potato Kielbasa and Kale Soup is complete comfort in a bowl that's perfect when the weather gets chilly!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound kielbasa or other smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 bunch kale, red or green, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat canola oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 8 - 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the garlic and the potatoes and stir.
- Add the chicken broth and kielbasa. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 - 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add the kale and cook 1 - 2 minutes more. Turn off the heat, cover and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook 1 - 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add half and half, whisking constantly. Whisk in a ladle-full of the chicken broth from the Dutch oven to prevent it from becoming too thick to work with.
- Transfer the thickened combination to the Dutch oven.
- Bring the soup back up to a simmer and cook over low heat until thickened. Stir in Dijon mustard and Worcestershire. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and serve.