Grains and Greens Casserole
From a Chef's Kitchen
Grains and Greens Casserole is very flexible! Vary the grains and vary the greens!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for pan
- ½ medium onion (finely chopped)
- 8 heads baby bok choy (sliced into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 bunch kale (stems removed, coarsely chopped)
- 1 bag (10-ounce) baby spinach
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (or barley, lentils or quinoa or a combination)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or saute pan. Add onion and cook until softened, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the bok choy and kale in batches; cook each batch until wilted. Stir in garlic. Transfer to a large bowl. Add spinach to wilt slightly.
- Stir in cooked brown rice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in eggs and cheese.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until cheese and top is lightly browned.