Greek Vegetable Salad with Marinated Feta Cheese
From a Chef's Kitchen
This take on the traditional Greek salad has lots of chunky vegetables, a delicious dressing and marinated feta cheese!
- 1 block (8-ounce) good Greek feta cheese
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 4 dried red chiles such as cayenne
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 (1-inch) long strips lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- ⅔ cup olive oil (or to cover)
- 5 medium tomatoes ( seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 medium cucumbers ( seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 green bell pepper ( seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 medium red onion (cut into 1/2-inch chunks)
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 jar (12-ounce) marinated artichoke hearts (undrained)
- 1 cup pitted and halved Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Place cheese, herbs sprigs, chiles, peppercorns and lemon zest in 1 or 2 jars (depending upon the size you have). Whisk together lemon juice and olive oil. Pour over cheese. Seal and refrigerate two days.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Add feta cheese.