Heirloom Tomato Toast
The View From the Great Island
Heirloom Tomato Toast ~ the simple pleasure of great tomatoes paired with great bread is known to tomato lovers everywhere.
- 1 loaf of wide, flat rustic bread, such as ciabatta or batard.
- soft goat cheese, peso, or ricotta cheese for spreading on the bread
- assorted heirloom tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- sald and fresh cracked black pepper
- fresh basil leaves
- Slice the bread in half through the center, to make two large pieces. Use a sharp serrated knife and slice as evenly as you can.
- Set the two halves on a baking sheet, cut side up. Brush both cut sides generously with olive oil, and broil for several minutes until toasted. You can do this on a charcoal grill or in a grill pan on the stove top if you like.
- Spread each half of bread with your spread of choice. Then arrange the tomatoes, slightly overlapping, over the top. Season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper, and a light drizzle of olive oil. I sprinkle some small basil leaves as a garnish. Slice the bread into 2 inch slices to serve.