The View From the Great Island
Herbed meatballs are easy to make and have an extra dose of flavor!
makes about 20 medium sized meatballs
- 0.5 lb ground beef
- 0.5 lb ground pork
- 0.5 red onion
- 0.25 cup bread crumbs
- 0.25 cup wheat germ
- 1 egg
- 0.5 cup finely minced mixed herbs, I used marjoram, sage, parsley, thyme and chives
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 large jar of your favorite tomato sauce
- Set oven to 350F
- Break apart the meat into small pieces as you drop it into a mixing bowl. Mix everything together, using a light hand. Don't over work or your meatballs will be tough.
- Using a 1 1/2 inch scoop form the meal into balls and set on a baking sheet.
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons on olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the meatballs on all sides. Do this in batches. Put the meatballs back on the baking tray and after they have all browned, bake for about about 10 minutes, or until they read 155-160 inside.
- Heat the sauce in the same pan that browned the meat, and then nestle the cooked meatballs down into the sauce. Serve with pasta, or alone.