Indian style Red Lentil Soup
Indian style Red Lentil Soup that is hearty and delicious with the addition of warm Indian spices. Perfect dish for the chilly fall weather.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup red lentils (Masoor Dal)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- to taste Salt & Pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- ½ tsp Crushed Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- to taste Salt
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Add onions and garlic and cook till the onions turn translucent.
- Next add the tomatoes, chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, salt and pepper. Cook till the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add lentils and 21/2~3cups of water. Close the lid and cook for 2~3 whistles. Let the pressure come down naturally.
- Open the lid and whisk the lentils until smooth. If the soup looks too thick, add some water and simmer until heated through.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Heat oil in a small pan, add the chana dal, urad dal and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook till the dal turns golden. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 3~4 minutes.
- Serve the soup warm topped with the spinach and Enjoy!!