Italian-style sausage casserole
Cake and Whisky
This Italian-style sausage casserole is an absolute winter staple. Warming, comforting, satisfying, and quite healthy, it's a real kick-asserole!
- 4 chipolata or vegetarian sausages ((you can also use turkey sausages), chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 tbsp olive oil ((divided))
- 1 small Onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 1 small stalk celery (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (diced)
- 4 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- ½ can butter or cannellini beans
- 2 big handfuls baby spinach or cavolo nero leaves
- chilli powder, oregano and salt to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat up the oil. Add in the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with salt and cook over medium for a few minutes.
- Add in the sausage pieces and keep cooking until the pieces are lightly roasted (about 5min).
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes and the stock cube. Top with 250ml of water and cook until the sausage meat if fully cooked.
- Season with chilli powder and oregano. Add the beans and spinach leaves and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve pipping hot in big bowls with a bit of crusty bread and some cosy TV program on the side!