Jamie Oliver’s Easy Sausage Carbonara
The View From the Great Island
Jamie Oliver's Easy Sausage Carbonara is my latest 5-ingredient, 30 minute meal obsession. Yes it's simple enough to memorize, but don't worry, make this quick and comforting pasta dinner once and your family will never let you forget it!
- 2 eggs
- handful of fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (not the dry powdered stuff)
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage meat
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ pound pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk the eggs together in a bowl and mix in the parsley and cheese.
- Pinch or scoop tablespoon sized amounts of sausage meat and roll into balls. Sprinkle the peppers on a plate and give them a mix. Roll each sausage ball in the pepper to lightly coat.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and when the oil is shimmering hot but not smoking, add the meatballs. I like to shake and swirl the pan until the meatballs have gotten some color all over, this helps to maintain their round shape. Saute for several minutes, keeping the meatballs moving, until the sausage is golden brown and cooked through. They should read 160F on an instant read thermometer. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile cook your pasta in lots of salted water according to package directions until al dente. Drain, reserving some of the cooking water, and add the dripping wet pasta to the meatballs in the pan, the extra water clinging to the pasta is going to help create the sauce.
- Working off the heat, add the egg mixture, tossing continuously as the heat of the pasta 'cooks' the eggs into a silky sauce. Add more pasta water if needed.
- Serve right away with extra cheese and parsley.