Jonna Rawa Upma (Jowar Upma)
Jonna rawa upma or Jowar upma is a nutritious way to start any day because it is hearty and keeps you full till lunch time.
- 1 cup rawa (Jonna (coarse jowar))
- 1 onion (- small, chopped)
- 1 ginger (" - piece, finely grated)
- 1 tomato (- small, chopped)
- 2 ~ 3 Green Chili (- slit)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Cashews (- , chopped)
- 1 ~ 2 red chili (Dry)
- 8 ~ 10 Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (- (optional))
- to taste Salt
- In a pressure cooker or in a pan, heat 1tbsp oil and add mustard, cumin seeds and dry red chili. Once the seeds start to splutter, add cashews and cook till they turn golden.
- Next add the onions, green chilies, curry leaves and grated ginger. Cook till the onions turn translucent.
- Next add the tomatoes and salt, cook till the tomatoes turn mushy, about 3~4 minutes.
- Next add the jonna rawa and cook for 2~3 minutes.
- Add 3cups of water and cover with the lid and cook for 3~4 whistles or until all the water has evaporated and jonna rawa has cooked through. If cooking in the pan, bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and cook hhcovered until the water is absorbed and rawa is cooked through.
- Once done, stir in lemon juice and serve with some pickle and/ or yogurt.
View the recipe instructions at Cook's Hideout