Layered Zucchini Corn Casserole
From a Chef's Kitchen
Southern-inspired Layered Zucchini Corn Casserole is creamy, cheesy and the perfect way to use summer vegetables!
- butter, oil or nonstick cooking spray for baking dish
- 3 medium zucchini ( ends trimmed, thinly sliced lengthwise, about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch scallions (white and light green part only, chopped)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 12 butter crackers (such as Ritz or Townhouse) (crushed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter, oil or spray a 2-quart baking dish. Set aside.
- Grill the zucchini on a stovetop or outdoor grill until crisp-tender. (Alternately, saute or roast the zucchini.)
- Heat butter over medium-high heat. Add the scallions and jalapeno and cook 3-4 minutes just to soften. Add the garlic and cook 10-15 seconds or until fragrant. Transfer vegetables to a bowl.
- Add the cream cheese to the hot vegetables and stir until it's creamy.
- Stir in mayonnaise, milk or half-and-half, eggs, salt and pepper and blend until creamy.
- Place a layer of zucchini (1/3) at the bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread 1/3 of the corn over the zucchini, spread 1/3 of the egg mixture over the zucchini and corn, then 1/3 cheese. Repeat two more times.
- Sprinkle crushed butter crackers over the top. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 30 minutes or until bubbling and crackers are lightly browned. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen