Lentil Chickpea Burger
Indian flavored Burger -- it holds up its shape on the grill and tastes amazing.
- ½ cup Masoor dal (Whole (brown lentils))
- 1 oz 15 . cans Chickpeas (, (1½cups of fresh cooked chickpeas can be used instead))
- 1 onion (Small , chopped (1 cup))
- 1 red bell pepper (Small , diced (½cup))
- 2 carrot (Medium , grated)
- 4 cloves garlic (, minced)
- 2 eggs (Large (I used 2tbsp flax seed meal whisked in 6tbsp water))
- 2 tsps cumin (Ground)
- 1 tsp coriander (Ground)
- 1 tsp chili powder (Red (adjust per taste))
- ½ cup mint leaves (, chopped)
- ½ cup cilantro (leaves, chopped)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (Plain)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- to taste Salt
- Cook lentils until tender either in the pressure cooker or in a sauce pot with lots of water. Drain any excess water and set aside.
- Heat 2tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook for 7~8 minutes or until the veggies are soft. Stir in garlic, cook for 1 minute and turn off the stove.
- Blend chickpeas, mint, cilantro, eggs (or flax egg), cumin, coriander, red chili powder, salt and pepper in food processor 2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Stir chickpea mixture, breadcrumbs, carrots and baking powder into lentils. Shape into 8~10 patties. Layer patties between plastic wrap and freeze.
- Preheat grill to high. Brush patties with oil and cook 6 minutes on each side.