Mexican Chicken Poblano and Black Bean Tortilla Casserole
From a Chef's Kitchen
Mexican Chicken, Poblano and Black Bean Tortilla Casserole is easy and perfect for a cold winter night!
- oil or nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 can (28-ounce) tomato sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded (approximately 3 cups)
- 6 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 can (15-ounce) black beans
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- sour cream,
- cilantro (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil or spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan over medium-high heat. Cook the tortillas, individually for approximately 1-2 minutes or until crispy. Drain on a cooling rack. Set aside.
- Drain off all but 2-3 tablespoons of the hot oil. Add the onion and cook 6-7 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander and stir briefly. Add tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer and heat through. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Place approximately 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Top with 4 tortillas.
- Distribute about 1/2 of the chicken over the tortillas, 1/2 of the Poblanos and 1/2 of the beans. Top with another 1/2 cup of the sauce followed by 1 cup of cheese.
- Top with remaining tortillas followed by remaining chicken, poblanos, beans, sauce and cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20-30 minutes or until cheese and casserole are hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve.