The View From the Great Island
Miso Soup is the original health food, it's been nourishing the Japanese for centuries, and you can make it yourself in minutes.
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons Miso paste
- 0.33333333333333 of a 14 oz block of firm tofu, cut in small cubes
- 2 cups assorted mushrooms, sliced or left whole if very small
- 4 or 5 scallions, sliced thin
- Heat the stock and water to a simmer and add the mushrooms and tofu. Simmer for a few minutes to cook the mushrooms. When you're ready to serve, add the scallions and take off the heat. In a small bowl, whisk the miso with 1/4 cup of the hot broth to form a paste. Stir it back into the broth, and serve.