Mom's Moroccan Beef Stew
From a Chef's Kitchen
My Mom's Moroccan Beef Stew is hearty, flavorful and perfect for a chilly night!
- 2 pounds cubed and trimmed chuck roast
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 0.5 teaspoon ground coriander
- 0.5 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 0.5 teaspoon ground cumin
- 0.5 teaspoon ground ginger
- 0.25 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 large carrots (sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 small plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- celery leaves (for garnish)
- 2 dried chipotle peppers
- 4 dried New Mexico chili peppers
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cloves garlic
- 0.25 cup olive oil ((divided))
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- salt (to taste)
- STEW: Combine flour, salt and pepper on a plate and dredge beef pieces.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven and brown beef evenly in batches. Pour off excess drippings.
- Combine the paprika, coriander, turmeric, cumin, ginger and cayenne and sprinkle over beef. Add the celery, onion, carrot, garlic and beef broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 1 1/4 hours to 1 1/2 hours. Alternately, combine the ingredients in an electric pressure cooker and cook on High for 22 minutes or in a slow-cooker for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
- Add the apricots and tomatoes and cook an additional 15 minutes on the stovetop or 1 more minute on high in the pressure cooker.
- Garnish with celery sprigs and serve with harissa.
- HARISSA: Place peppers in a small saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let stand 20 minutes.
- Remove stems and seeds and transfer to a food processor or blender.
- Combine cumin and coriander in a dry, nonstick skillet and toast briefly until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add to the peppers along with garlic, olive oil and red wine vinegar. Blend to a smooth paste. Season to taste with salt.