Moroccan Red Lentil Soup
Hearty and comforting Moroccan Red Lentil Soup is a filling and delicious dish for any night of the week. Warm African spices make this dish extra special.
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (divided)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- ¾ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove (finely minced)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cups red lentils (rinsed and drained)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Dried Mint
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro
- Melt 2tbsp butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook until softened about 5 minutes.
- Add coriander, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 1~2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, water and lentils; bring to simmer.
- Simmer vigorously, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and tender, about 15~18 minutes.
- Whisk soup until smooth, about 30 seconds. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt.
- Before serving; melt the butter in small skillet -- remove from heat and stir in mint and paprika.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls, drizzle each portion with 1tsp spiced butter, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.