Mushroom and Brie Soup
The View From the Great Island
Mushroom and Brie Soup is a fall classic kicked up with creamy Brie cheese ~ perfect for a cozy dinner on the couch or a first course for big holiday meal.
- 1.5 pounds cremini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2-3 large shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp flour
- 0.5 cup Marsala wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces Brie cheese,
- Set oven to 400F
- Brush the mushrooms with a clean dish towel to clean them, do not get them wet.
- Trim the stem ends, and then quarter the mushrooms. Put on a dry baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, tossing them a couple of times. They will lose their moisture, shrink up, and brown.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the shallots for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and saute another 5 minutes until the shallot has softened.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for a minute. Add the wine and stir to deglaze the pan.
- Add the stock, the mushrooms, and the fresh thyme, and bring up to a simmer. Turn down the heat, cover and gently simmer for about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Add the cream and the cubed Brie. Stir to melt the cheese.
- Puree the soup, in batches. Taste to adjust the seasonings, and add a bit more stock or water if it seems too thick.
- Serve with a garnish of sliced mushrooms and more fresh thyme.