Nutrient Dense Meatloaf
Raising Generation Nourished
Cool weather comfort food at it's finest, packed with nutrient dense grassfed beef & liver and the most amazing flavor!
- 2 tb butter or other friendly fat to cook in
- ½ onion (finely diced (I like to pulse the onion, carrot, and celery in the food processor - fast!))
- 1 medium carrot (finely diced)
- 1 stalk celery (finely diced)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¾ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (this leaves the heat very mild for kids - if you like a lot of heat double!)
- 5 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 lb grassfed ground beef
- about 1/8 - 1/4 lb grassfed beef liver (ground (optional))
- 1 pastured egg
- ½ cup whole sour cream
- ¼ - 1/3 cup white rice flour
- optional ketchup for the top and/or for dipping
- ½ cup water
- Melt the friendly fat in a skillet over medium heat and cook the onion, carrot, and celery with the salt, pepper, thyme, red pepper flakes, and garlic until the veggies are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl put the ground beef, liver (if using it), egg, sour cream, white rice flour, and the cooked/seasoned veggies and mix well.
- Put the meat mixture into a small loaf pan, spread the ketchup on top if using it, and then add the water to the top. Don't leave this out - I know it seems odd but it really makes it so it doesn't dry out! I promise it won't be watery!
- Bake the meat loaf uncovered for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Let the meatloaf rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting.