Old Fashioned Zucchini Cake
The View From the Great Island
Old Fashioned Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting ~ a moist zucchini walnut cake with a generous layer of fluffy cream cheese buttercream!
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups lightly packed shredded zucchini
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 8 ounces cream cheese, completely soft
- 3 ounces (6 Tbsp) unsalted butter (soft)
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- lemon juice, about 1 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 350F Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and cinnamon until smooth.
- Toss together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and add the bowl. Mix just until completely blended. Fold in the zucchini and the nuts.
- Turn the batter into your prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out without wet batter clinging to it (moist crumbs are fine.) Some ovens run hot or cool, so check carefully.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting beat the cream cheese and butter together until fluffy. Add the lemon juice and the sugar, one cup at a time, while beating. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add more sugar if the frosting is too thin, and a little more lemon juice or milk if it is too thick.