One Bowl Hummingbird Cake Bars
The View From the Great Island
One Bowl Hummingbird Cake Bars ~ these little bars have all the bells and whistles of the classic Southern hummingbird layer cake, in a snack-able bar form.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- ½ cup crushed pineapple (don’t drain)
- 1 ripe banana ( well mashed)
- ⅓ cup chopped Walnuts (plus more for garnish)
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- cream cheese frosting
- 5 oz cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2½ cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 squeeze of lemon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Set oven to 350F
- Put the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in the bowl of a stand mixer and toss to combine. (You can do this by hand, too.) Mix in the egg, oil,and Bourbon.
- Blend in the pineapple, mashed banana, coconut,and nuts. Mix just enough to combine all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Spread the batter in a 71/2 x 11 1/2 greased brownie pan and bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out without wet batter clinging to it. (Moist crumbs are ok.)
- Cool the cake before frosting.
- To make frosting, mix the butter with the cream cheese and then gradually beat in the sugar until the frosting is a spreadable consistency. Blend in the lemon juice and vanilla. Add more sugar if the frosting is too thin.
- Spread on the cooled cake, and top with more finely chopped walnuts. Store in the refrigerator.