Pepper Jack Mac
The View From the Great Island
Pepper Jack Mac is a spicy macaroni and cheese made with pepper jack cheese and studded with lots of jalapeño peppers ~ think you can handle it?
- 0.5 pound large shape pasta (I used Torchio)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 pound pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- 1-2 jalapenos (thinly sliced)
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Set oven to 350F
- Set aside 1/2 cup or so of the shredded cheese for topping.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of salted water just until al dente. I usually cook pasta a good 2 or 3 minutes less than the package says. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for a minute or so. Add the milk and stir or whisk until well combined. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and add the cheese, a little at a time, while stirring, until all the cheese has been incorporated and the sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the cooked pasta into the sauce, along with the sliced jalapeños and mix well. Top with the reserved cheese.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes until browned and bubbling throughout. You can run it under the broiler for a minute or two at the end to brown it further. Serve right away with a green salad.