Rainbow Poke Bowl with Canned Tuna
The View From the Great Island
Rainbow Poke Bowl with canned tuna ~ you can have this colorful and healthy Hawaiian favorite any time, anywhere, without the sushi grade raw fish!
- 1 watermelon radish, peeled and cut in thin matchsticks
- 1 or 2 small Persian cucumbers (thinly sliced)
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 sprigs cilantro
- ½ cup sesame oil
- ¼ cup Tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice (substitute orange if you like)
- 1 tsp hot chili paste or Sriracha
- 1 tsp minced pickled ginger (or fresh ginger)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- juice of lime
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (black or white)
- 1 cup black (Forbidden) rice, or red or white rice
- about 1/2 sheet of dried seaweed, cut in thin shreds.
- 2 5-ounce cans
- ¼ of a small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 small ripe mango, peeled and diced
- handful of microgreens, or sprouts of your choice
- 1 cup shaved or grated carrot
- ½ cup picked radishes
- ½ cup pickled cucumbers
- 2 tbsp pickled ginger
- 1 hot red chili pepper (or jalapeno or Serrano pepper) thinly sliced
- fresh cilantro leaves
- black or white sesame seeds
- lime wedges
- First make the pickle. Pack the radish sticks and cucumbers into a jar, along with the cilantro. Heat the vinegar, water, and pepper flakes to a boil on the stove or in the microwave. Pour the hot brine over the vegetables, the liquid should just cover them. Set aside.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together, taste to adjust any of them, and set aside.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. Toss it with the seaweed and some of the dressing to moisten and flavor it.
- Divide the rice between two bowls. Place the tuna in each bowl. Lift the tuna out gently with a fork to keep the chunks intact and leaving most of the oil in the can.
- Arrange the rest of the ingredients around the bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Top with garnishes, and serve.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island