Shrimp in Romesco Sauce
The View From the Great Island
Shrimp in Romesco Sauce ~ serve this vivid grilled shrimp and spicy roasted red pepper sauce with some crusty bread for a Spanish style tapas menu. This is a wonderful way to celebrate the return of warmer weather.
serves 6-8 as an appetizer
- 1.5 pounds shrimp, cleaned and shelled, tail on or off, your choice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 clove garlic
- 0.5 cup toasted almonds, unsalted
- 3-4 tbsp tomato paste, I used the kind from the tube
- 2-3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 0.5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Put all the sauce ingredients except the oil in a food processor and pulse to combine. Then, while the machine is running, slowly pour in the oil to make a loose but thick sauce. Taste to adjust any of the flavors. The flavor is enhanced by letting the sauce sit for a few hours or up to a few days ahead, refrigerated. Bring back to room temperature before serving.
- Coat the bottom of a skillet lightly with oil and heat until hot. Cook the shrimp on both sides until they have turned opaque and the shells have curled. This will only take a few minutes. Remove from the pan.
- Add the sauce to the bottom of the pan and nestle the shrimp into the sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with some good crusty bread.