Sicilian Pasta with Almonds and Anchovies
The View From the Great Island
Sicilian Pasta with Almonds and Anchovies is a lush 30 minute meal that typifies the healthy Mediterranean diet. It makes a perfect lunch or dinner, and is bursting with vibrant flavors!
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 0.5 cup good grated Parmesan cheese
- 0.75 cup raw or roasted almonds
- 12 roasted garlic cloves, or 3 raw cloves
- 2 red chili peppers, stemmed and rough chopped, seeds and all
- 1 large handful fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp anchovy paste
- 1 heaping cup cherry tomatoes
- a big handful pitted green olives
- olive oil
- grated Parmesan cheese
- baby basil leaves
- a few olives
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Cook the pasta just shy of the package time, you want it to be al dente.
- Meanwhile put the cheese, almonds, garlic, peppers, basil and anchovies into a food processor and pulse until well combined, about 20 pulses.
- Add the tomatoes and olives and continue pulsing until everything looks evenly chopped, about another 20 pulses.
- Add a 'glug' of olive oil and pulse once or twice more. You should have a nice, loose pesto now. Taste it and add some salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a cup of the cooking liquid. Toss the pasta with lots of the pesto. You may not need all of it.
- Serve nice and hot, garnished with more cheese, baby basil leaves, a few more rough chopped olives, and lots of fresh cracked pepper.