Smokey Onion Dip
The View From the Great Island
Smokey Onion Dip ~ this creamy, cheesy baked onion dip has a hint of smokey flavor which makes it stand out from the rest!
- 1 large sweet onion
- ½ pound smoked Gouda cheese (grated)
- ½ pound smoked Gruyere cheese (grated)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cut Greek yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp salt
- lots of fresh cracked black pepper
- several shakes of hot sauce (to taste)
- 1 baguette (thinly sliced)
- Set oven to 375F
- Peel the onion and then slice it 1/8 inch thick on a mandolin slicer or with a sharp knife. Then chop the thin slices into a small dice. Put in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well. Take the time to make sure everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spread the dip in a shallow baking dish, and even it out. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until bubbling and hot throughout. You can put it under the broiler briefly for more browning if you want.
- While the dip is baking, heat a grill pan on high until very hot and grill the slices of bread until lightly charred on both sides.
- Serve the dip hot out of the oven, with the bread.