Smokin' Chipotle Black Bean Dip with Oil-Free Butternut Squash Chips
From a Chef's Kitchen
Smokin' Chipotle Black Bean Dip and Oil-Free Butternut Squash Chips are NOT your average chip and dip combo!
- 4 scallions, white and tender green part only
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cans (15-ounce) black beans
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 0.33333333333333 cup salsa
- 0.33333333333333 cup non-fat Greek yogurt plus more for topping.
- 0.5 small plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 large, long-necked butternut squash,
- kosher or sea salt
- Finely chop the white and light green part of the scallions. Thinly slice the tender green part for garnish.
- Combine the chopped scallions, garlic, black beans, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, salsa and yogurt in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- To serve, transfer dip to serving bowl. Top with a dollop of yogurt, sprinkle with sliced scallion and chopped tomato. Serve with butternut squash chips.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath. Peel the squash and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices.
- Working in batches, cook the squash for approximately 2 minutes. Using a scoop or small sieve, transfer to the ice bath. Repeat with remaining squash. Carefully drain the squash and blot dry with a kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Place the squash rounds on a paper towel-lined plate or on a microwave bacon tray. Season lightly with salt.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Turn over, salt and microwave 2 minutes on high. (Time will vary based on the power of your microwave.) If they need a bit more time, microwave in short 30-second bursts until crispy. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool. (They will crisp up a bit more as they cool.)
- As soon as they are thoroughly cooled, place in an airtight container.