Smoky Tomato & Halloumi Bake
Happy Veggie Kitchen
Halloumi and white beans baked in a rich, smoky, Spanish inspired tomato sauce! A simple but stunning one pot vegetarian meal, on the table in 30 minutes.
- olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (sliced)
- a few pinches of chili flakes (to taste)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 400 g (14oz) tin of white beans (I used butter beans, but cannellini beans or chickpeas work well too)
- 800 g (28oz) of whole plum tinned tomatoes (that's two normal sized tins)
- 500 g (8.8oz) of halloumi cheese, sliced lengthways and then widthways into slabs
- parsley or coriander, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 390F. In a shallow casserole dish, heat some olive oil and gently saute your sliced garlic until it's starting to brown.
- Add the smoked paprika and oregano and stir for a moment until fragrant, then add the tomatoes, sugar and red wine vinegar.
- Stir the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the butter beans, then add to the sauce.
- Remove from the heat and arrange the halloumi on top of the sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes until bubbling. If you want to get the halloumi browned on top, turn on the grill / broiler for the last 5 minutes.
View the recipe instructions at Happy Veggie Kitchen