Tofu and Black Bean Tacos
From a Chef's Kitchen
Tofu and Black Bean Tacos are easy and a healthful way to enjoy tacos. Even a diehard carnivore won't miss the meat!
- 14 ounce Block extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
- 1 small Onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 can (10-ounce) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 can (15-ounce) black beans
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 8 tortillas (corn or flour), warmed
- shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped green bell pepper, sour cream, lime wedges, chopped scall
- Cut tofu into six "slabs" lengthwise. Lay tofu out on several layers of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Place several more layers of paper towels or another kitchen towel over the tofu. Top with a baking sheet and place something heavy such as several cookbooks on the baking sheet. Let drain 1 hour. Cut tofu into cubes.
- Combine chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, chipotle powder, salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Season tofu cubes with half of the spice combination.
- Heat half the canola oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and sear well on all sides. Transfer to a plate or bowl.
- Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 8-10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the remaining spice combination, garlic and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Stir in black beans and tofu and heat through. Stir in cilantro. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Serve in tortillas with all your favorite taco "fixins!"
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen