Traditional Irish Leek and Potato Soup
The View From the Great Island
This authentic and satisfying Traditional Irish Leek and Potato Soup comes straight from the Irish countryside. Serve it with a drizzle of soured cream, some fresh snipped chives, and a big chunk of warm soda bread.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 onion
- 3 large leeks, trimmed, sliced, thoroughly rinsed, and dried
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3.5 cups chicken stock
- 0.5 cup frozen peas
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- sour cream thinned with milk
- snipped chives
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot and saute the onion, leeks, and potato for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the stock to the pan and bring up to a simmer. Cover, turn down the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until everything is tender. Add the peas to the pot just long enough to defrost them.
- Working in 2 batches, process the soup until your desired consistency. It can be smooth, or chunky. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve piping hot with a drizzle of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives.