Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
The View From the Great Island
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are a nod to the classic candied yam casserole, but made for everyday!
- 2 good sized sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 0.25 cup buttermilk (possibly more)
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- mini marshmallows
- Set oven to 400F
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or foil. Wash and prick the potatoes. Bake them for about 40-50 minutes until just tender when pierced with a small knife. Set aside to cool for a few minutes;
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out most of the flesh, leaving a little around the edges to keep the potatoes sturdy.
- Transfer the flesh to a food processor and add the butter and buttermilk. Process until smooth, and then add salt and pepper to taste. Add a little more buttermilk if the mixture is too thick.
- I like to microwave the puree briefly at this point to make sure it is nice and hot. Then spoon the puree into each potato half, just filling to the top, don't mound it.
- Arrange mini marshmallow across the tops.
- Put back in the oven just until the marshmallows are gently toasted. This doesn't take long so don't go anywhere.
- Serve immediately.