Vegan Barley and Lentil Soup
This Vegan Barley and Lentil Soup is rich and will fill you up and warm you on a cold winter day. This is a delicious and nutritious staple in our home.
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp tomato puree (triple concentrat)
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 3 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 cup pearl barley, split-peas & lentils mix
- 0 liter vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- water as needed
- 1 tbs olive oil ((divided))
- salt, pepper to taste
- red paprika to taste
- fresh chopped herbs: parsley, chives, thyme
- Give the grains a good wash and set aside.
- Peel and slice onions, garlic, carrots. Peel and dice potatoes.
- In a pot, heat a spoon of olive oil and add onion. Gently fry until the onions become translucent. Then, add sliced garlic and carrots and a tea spoon of tomato puree, mix well and sautee for a couple of minutes. Add the grain mix, diced potatoes and bay leaf and pour over the vegetable stock. Cook with the lid on on low heat for about 30-40 minutes, until the grain becomes soft. Stir occasionally and add water as needed, if the soup becomes too thick.
- When the soup is done, taste and season if needed with extra salt, pepper and paprika. Add fresh chopped herbs on top and serve.
- I usually season the soup about 10 minutes before it is fully cooked and serve it hot with a slice of fresh bread.
View the recipe instructions at Vibrant Plates