Vegan Mulligatawny Soup
Vegan Mulligatawny Soup is a creamy and hearty dish that is perfect for the chilly weather. Serve it with rice or bread for a complete and filling meal.
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1 ginger (grated)
- 1 green Chilies, slit
- 1 medium potato (diced)
- 2 medium Carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes (diced)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ cup Red Lentils/ Masoor Dal (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- to taste Salt Pepper
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Cilantro,
- 1 tbsp Lime/ Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Roasted Cashews (optional)
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add onions, garlic and ginger; cook till the onions are translucent, about 3~4 minutes.
- Add the chopped potato, carrot and cook for 3~4 minutes. Next add the tomatoes, curry powder, turmeric and cook till tomatoes are mushy.
- Stir in the lentils and broth; season with salt and pepper. Close the lid and cook on medium flame for 2~3 whistles. Let the pressure reduce naturally. If cooking in a saucepan; bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20~25 minutes or until the veggies and lentils are cooked completely.
- Use a immersion blender to blend the soup into a smooth mixture. I left half of the soup chunky.
- Stir in coconut milk and cook till heated through, about 3~4 minutes. Mix in lime/ lemon juice and garnish with cilantro. Serve warm with roasted cashews on top. Enjoy!!