Vietnamese Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
The View From the Great Island
With a package of spring roll wrappers you can make these Vietnamese Summer Rolls with what you probably already have in the fridge.
- 1 package spring roll wrappers
- radicchio leaves or any leafy green
- julienned carrots
- julienned English cucumber (skin on)
- julienned scallions
- julienned radishes
- mint leaves
- cilantro leaves
- spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
- 4 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- t tsp red chili flakes
- chopped roasted peanuts for garnish
- Gather all your clean, trimmed veggies together on a work surface.
- Put a little warm water in the bottom of a flat dish, a pie plate works well. Working with one rice paper wrapper at a time, submerge and soak it in the water for just about 10 seconds, to soften it. Don't soak it too long or it will become fragile.
- Place your wrapper flat down and layer radicchio leaves down on it, leaving at least an inch all around.
- Then lay your other veggies on top, in any configuration you want. Play around with them; you can make them thick, or thin, and depending on how you layer your vegetables, the cut rolls will have a different look.
- Fold the top edge of the wrapper over, then starting from one side, fold the whole circle over, like a taco or an omelet.
- Fold the bottom up, and continue to wrap the roll, using a firm pressure to get a nice, tight roll. It will probably take you a roll or two to get the hang of it. My first attempts were too loose.
- Cut the roll in two, either on a diagonal, or straight across. Set on a plate, but don't let the rolls touch or the rice wrappers can stick together.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
- To store, cover with a damp paper towel and plastic wrap.
- To make the sauce, whisk all the ingredients together in a measuring cup until it becomes a smooth sauce. Taste and adjust as you see fit.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island