Weight Loss Soup
The View From the Great Island
Winter Weight Loss Soup ~ this revitalizing soup is satisfying and delicious. I don't know where I'd be without it ~ probably a few pounds heavier!
- 3 tbsp olive oil ((divided))
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 4 stalks celery, with inner leaves (chopped)
- 5 large cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 2 inch of fresh ginger (sliced)
- 2 cayenne peppers (crushed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp powdered turmeric
- 64 ounces Organic Chicken Broth
- 1 cup pureed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (I use the kind in the tube)
- 1 tbsp mild vinegar, red or white
- 1.5 tsp salt
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- soup: (allow a cup of chopped veggies per serving)
- red or white onion (diced)
- carrots (peeled and sliced)
- celery (sliced, with inner leaves)
- winter squash ( peeled and diced)
- green beans ( cut in 2 inch pieces)
- beats (peeled and chopped)
- cauliflower or romanesco ( separated into small florets)
- small Brussels sprouts (halved or left whole)
- mushrooms (halved, quartered, or sliced)
- napa cabbage (shredded)
- grated Parmesan cheese
- To make the broth, heat the olive oil in a large soup pot and add the onion, celery, garlic, ginger, crushed peppers and bay leaves. Saute on medium low for 20 minutes, stirring often. Don't let it brown or burn, you just want to soften everything and get their juices flowing!
- Add the turmeric, broth, pureed tomatoes, paste, and vinegar to the pot. Season with the salt and pepper, mix well and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down, cover, and simmer gently for 45 minutes. Taste now and adjust any of the seasonings.
- Strain the broth and store in the refrigerator, or freeze, until needed.
- When you're ready to make soup, bring the broth to simmer in a soup pan. Use approximately 1 cup per serving.
- Add the veggies EXCEPT the cabbage, spinach, or kale, bring back to a boil, and then turn the heat way down, and cover. Let the soup sit for 20 minutes. It should barely be at a simmer. Stir once or twice. Stir in any leafy veggies like the cabbage last, after the soup has cooked. The heat of the broth will be enough to wilt them.
- Serve hot with a sprinkling of cheese.