White Bean Artichoke and Baby Greens Soup
From a Chef's Kitchen
Rustic yet elegant, White Bean, Artichoke and Baby Greens Soup is light, healthful, easy and perfect for an early fall day!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 large carrots (finely chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth (or as needed)
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans (15-ounce) cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 box (10-ounce) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 2 (5-ounce) containers baby "power" greens
- fresh parsley (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are softened, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and cook 15 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in beans, artichokes hearts, baby greens and salt and black pepper, to taste. Simmer gently until heated through and greens are wilted.
- Add parsley if using and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.