Asian Vegetable and Noodle Broth Bowls with Pan Seared Fish
From a Chef's Kitchen
Asian Vegetable Noodle Broth Bowls with Pan Seared Fish is healthful, light, satisfying and versatile! Make it vegan, low-carb or vary the proteins!
- 1 small broccoli crown, cut into small florets
- 3 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, broken in half
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 0.25 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, hot or mild
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large carrot, coarsely shredded or 1 cup purchased julienned carrots
- 0.5 small red bell pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green part only, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 2 (8-ounce) grouper or other white fish fillets
- freshly ground black pepper
- black sesame seeds
- Prepare an ice bath. Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and blanch for 10-15 seconds or until they turn bright green. Remove with a slotted spoon to the ice bath. Cool and drain.
- Drop the spaghetti into the boiling water and cook until al dente, approximately 5-6 minutes. Drain in a colander and discard cooking water.
- Using the same saucepan, bring chicken broth, soy sauce (or tamari), curry powder, ginger and garlic to a simmer. Add the carrots and bell pepper and simmer uncovered 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender. Add all but 2 tablespoons of the scallions, reserving the remainder for garnish. Add rice vinegar and Sriracha hot sauce. Transfer noodles and broccoli to the broth and heat through. Keep warm.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Season grouper fillets with salt and black pepper to taste and place in the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook 3-4 minutes per side or until fish easily flakes with a fork.
- Serve noodles and vegetables in bowls topped with a piece of fish. Garnish with remaining scallion and black sesame seeds.