Curried Tofu Salad
From a Chef's Kitchen
Wondering what to pack for lunch this week? Throw out that tired, old ham or baloney sandwich in favor of this Curried Tofu Salad!
- 2 blocks (14-ounce) firm or extra-firm tofu, well drained and patted dry
- 1 cup mayonnaise (regular, low-fat or vegan)
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 0.33333333333333 cup red onion
- 1 medium carrot (finely grated)
- white wine vinegar (to taste)
- Cut tofu into slabs. Place on a thick layer of paper towels or clean kitchen towel. Place another layer of paper towels over tofu. Place a baking sheet over the towels and weigh it down with a heavy skillet or books. Let drain for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Put tofu into medium bowl. Using your hands, crumble until texture resembles mashed eggs. Add mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, curry powder, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in celery, red onion and carrot until blended. Add a splash of white wine vinegar to taste.