Edamame Bean Salad
The View From the Great Island
- 12 ounce bag of frozen edamame beans (these are the ones out of their shells)
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut in fine match sticks
- 1 golden beet, peeled and cut in fine matchsticks
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage (or radicchio)
- 2 cups (about 2 handfuls) assorted micro greens or sprouts, I used 2 kinds of pea shoots)
- about 6 radishes, trimmed and cut in small wedges
- sesame dressing
- 4 tbsp peanut oil or other plain oil like safflower (not olive oil)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha chili sauce
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- sesame seeds
- Defrost the edamae beans by putting them in a strainer and running under cold water. You can set the strainer in a large bowl and allow the water to fill up and cover the beans if you like. Just let them rinse or soak until they're no longer icy. Drain well and then dry gently on a clean kitchen towel. Put them in a large salad bowl.
- Add the rest of the slaw ingredients to the bowl and toss well with enough dressing to moisten the whole salad without drowning it. Serve with a final shower of sesame seeds.
- Mix up the dressing and feel free to adjust any of the ingredients to your taste, this is just a starting point.