Indian Root Vegetable Curry
From a Chef's Kitchen
Indian Root Vegetable Curry is hearty and humble but over-the-top with flavor! It's the perfect down-to-earth dinner.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion (sliced vertically)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste )
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15-ounce) coconut milk, regular or light
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 medium turnips (peeled and cubed)
- 1 bunch turnip greens (coarsely chopped)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- brown basmati rice (for serving)
- Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 4-5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Stir briefly (approximately 30 seconds) or until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, carrots and turnips. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the turnip greens in handfuls if necessary, allowing each to wilt. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with brown basmati rice.