Spinach Feta Stuffed Turkey Meat Loaf
From a Chef's Kitchen
Definitely not your momma's meat loaf! Spinach Feta Stuffed Turkey Meat Loaf is light and healthy with a side of vegetables right inside!
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 1 small Onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach ( thawed and squeezed of excess moisture)
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes ( or sun-dried tomato pesto )
- 0.5 cup feta cheese (regular, reduced fat or fat-free)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 egg White
- 1 large egg
- 0.75 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 0.25 cup milk
- 1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce (divided)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 0.25 cup fresh parsley
- 1 pound ground turkey (or chicken)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 4-5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Transfer 2/3 of the onion to a bowl to cool. Mix in half the garlic.
- Add spinach to sauté pan and cook briefly for any remaining moisture to evaporate. Let cool slightly then stir in sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese and salt and black pepper to taste. Add egg white and set aside.
- To bowl with onions, add whole egg, breadcrumbs, milk, 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, basil, oregano, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper and remaining 2 cloves minced garlic and mix well. Mix in ground turkey (or chicken).
- Place 2/3 of the meat mixture in the loaf pan, creating a small well down the center. Mound spinach mixture in the well. Top with remaining ground turkey. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 165 degrees. Top with tomato sauce after 30 minutes, then bake to completion. Let rest 5-8 minutes before slicing.