Better than Starbucks Chunky Banana Walnut Bread
The View From the Great Island
Better than Starbucks Banana Walnut Bread ~ this chunky quick bread is fabulously moist and tender, and topped with a thick layer of cream cheese frosting!
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- ½ cup vegetable oil (I used safflower)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup roughly mashed banana
- ⅔ cups chopped walnuts, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 heaping cup confectioner's sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- milk or cream to thin
- set oven to 325F Spray and line a standard 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper with long ends. This is so you can lift it out easily for slicing.
- Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar together in a large mixing bowl or a stand mixer.
- Beat in the egg, oil, and vanilla.
- Fold in the banana and nuts, and make sure everything is well combined. Turn into the pan and even out the batter. Bake for about an hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it. (Moist crumbs are fine.) Let the bread cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then remove to a rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Blend the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla with enough milk or cream to make a spreadable frosting. Spread over the top of the cooled bread, Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.