Copycat Starbucks Gingerbread
The View From the Great Island
Copycat Starbucks Gingerbread ~ skip the trip to the pricey coffee shop and make your own moist and perfectly spiced frosted gingerbread.
- ½ cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 cup apple sauce ((or pear sauce, or apple butter) I used a 15 oz can of pears, drained and pureed )
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- cream cheese frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups confectioner's sugar
- Set oven to 350F.
- Spray a 9x5 loaf pan lightly with cooking spray, and then, if you like, line it with parchment paper leaving the ends long so you can lift it out when it's cool.
- Cream the butter and the sugar until fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and the egg.
- Blend in the applesauce.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices and then add it to the bowl slowly. When everything is incorporated, turn the batter into your pan and smooth it out.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, or until it is risen and a toothpick comes out clean. Loaf pans and ovens can vary greatly, use your common sense to tell you when your cake is done. Check it early.
- Let cool completely on a rack before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese with the vanilla and then add 2 1/2 cups of the sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. Add a little more sugar if it's not as thick as you like.
- Spread a thick layer of the frosting over the gingerbread. Dust with freshly grated nutmeg.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island