Fresh Plum Glazed Barbecue Drumettes
The View From the Great Island
Plum Glazed Barbecue Drumettes ~ juicy chicken wings cooked up with a killer homemade plum barbecue sauce ~ this is an easy appetizer that can morph into dinner…you won’t be able to stop once you start!
- 1½ lb chicken drumettes
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- olive oil
- plum Barbecue Sauce:
- 10 ripe plums
- Lemon juiced
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp plum sauce (find it in the Asian foods aisle)
- 3 tbsp rice wine or cider vinegar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tsp sriracha chili sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste (find it in the Asian foods aisle)
- For the sauce
- To make the barbecue sauce, remove the pits from the plums and give them a rough chop. Don't peel them.
- Put them in a medium pot and add the lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, plum sauce, vinegar, ketchup, hot sauce, soy sauce, tamarind paste and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and boil gently for about 30 minutes, stirring often, until thickened.
- Take off the heat and blend with an immersion blender if you want a smoother texture. Taste it and see if you want to add more of anything.
- Let cool and then store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator. This recipe makes extra sauce, it will keep for a month.
- For the drumettes:
- Set the oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the drumettes with a little salt and black pepper, and then toss with barbecue sauce to lightly coat them.
- Lay them out on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, giving them a turn once or twice to prevent sticking and let them brown evenly.
- Remove from the oven and brush more sauce on the meat.
- Serve hot or cold, with a little more sauce on the side.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island