Heirloom Caprese Salad with Kalamata Olive Vinaigrette
The View From the Great Island
Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad with Kalamata Olive Vinaigrette ~ this juicy salad with fresh mozzarella, basil & tangy Kalamata is what summer is ALL about.
- 4 good sized heirloom tomatoes, in assorted colors
- a handful of multi-colored cherry tomatoes
- a large handful of fresh plucked basil leaves
- ½ small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 bocconcini sized balls of fresh mozzarella, about 7 ounces (sliced)
- 1 cup Kalamata olives.
- kalamata vinaigrette
- 5 kalamata olives (pitted)
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (possibly more for thinning)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- fresh basil leaves
- fresh thyme
- Chop the heirloom tomatoes into large bite sized chunks. Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Put the onions, tomatoes, and basil into a large shallow salad bowl. Nestle the mozzarella slices in and among the tomatoes. Scatter the olives across the top. Add more fresh cracked pepper over all and garnish with more basil and thyme.
- Use a small food processor to blitz the vinaigrette ~ add more olive oil if it is too thick. Taste and add more vinegar if you like, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the salad lightly drizzled with the dressing, and provide extra on the side.
- This salad is best eaten right away.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island