Savory Breakfast Strudel with Eggs Sausage and Swiss Chard
From a Chef's Kitchen
Savory Breakfast Strudel with Eggs, Sausage and Swiss Chard is a breakfast your whole family will love and it's impressive enough for guests!
- cornmeal or polenta
- ½ pound Italian sausage (hot or mild) (crumbled)
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green part only (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (stems removed, chopped, about 4 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded Swiss or white cheddar cheese
- 1 (14-ounce) tube refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle an extra-large cast iron skillet or pizza pan with cornmeal. Set aside.
- Brown the Italian sausage in a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat, stirring often until browned and cooked through. Add the scallions and cook 1 more minute or until softened. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Wipe out the skillet. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the Swiss chard. Cook, stirring often for 2 to 3 minutes or until wilted. Add the garlic, cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Transfer to the plate with the sausage.
- Heat butter in the skillet you've been using over medium-heat. Whisk eggs and half-and-half together. Season with salt and black pepper. Pour into the skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often or until just cooked through. Be careful not to overcook as they will cook again in the strudel. Let cool.
- Combine greens, sausage, eggs and cheese in a bowl.
- Roll pizza dough into a 14 x 12-inch rectangle. Place into prepared cast iron pan or pizza pan. Place egg, greens and sausage mixture down the middle, leaving a 2-inch border on the top and bottom.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 1 1/2-inch diagonal strips on both sides of filling. Brush with beaten egg.
- Bring bottom of dough (side closest to you) up and over filling. "Braid" strips of dough diagonally over filling, alternating left and right. Tuck top and bottom pieces under to form a neat closure. Brush strudel with remaining egg wash.
- Bake until browned and heated through, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing.