Southwestern Lentil and Brown Rice Bake
From a Chef's Kitchen
Southwestern Lentil and Brown Rice Bake is comfort food even a carnivore will love!
- ½ medium onion (finely chopped)
- ½ medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- ¾ cup brown lentils
- ¾ cup long-grain brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15-ounce) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4-ounce) diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon taco or other Southwestern seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, Pepperjack or white Cheddar) (divided)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients, except the cheese, in a deep 8 x 8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and mix well. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 1/2 hours, stirring once while the mixture is baking.
- Remove the foil, stir in half the cheese and place the remaining cheese over the top.
- Return to oven (uncovered) and bake until cheese has melted, approximately 20 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.