Spanish Almond Soup
The View From the Great Island
Spanish Almond Soup ~ aka ajo blanco, or white gazpacho, is a cool and creamy chilled soup without a speck of dairy ~ it's wonderfully refreshing!
- i cup blanched almonds (I used slivered)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups cold filtered water
- roughly 1 cup cubed fresh bread (crusts removed)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- mint leaves
- toasted almonds
- Put the almonds, garlic, and water into a high speed blender or food processor. Note: A Vitamix blender is ideal for this soup because it will pulverize it completely smooth. If your machine is not as strong you may want to strain your soup through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer. Start the machine on low, then move to high and puree until it becomes a smooth creamy liquid, this won't take long.
- Add the bread and puree again until smooth.
- Stir in the oil, vinegar, and seasonings to taste. Refrigerate the soup in an airtight container for at least two hours before serving. Give it a stir before ladling into small bowls.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island