Stuffed Zucchini with Pine Nut Salsa
The View From the Great Island
Stuffed Zucchini with Pine Nut Salsa ~ healthy zucchini boats stuffed with a delicious blend of sausage, tomato, cheese, garlic, and breadcrumbs!
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 italian sausage, sweet or hot
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (loosely measured, not packed)
- ½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- ½ cup finely diced tomato
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- olive oil
- a few Tbsp of crumbled feta cheese
- pine nut salsa
- ¼ cup pine nuts that have been toasted (heat them over medium heat in a skillet for several minutes, stirring constantly until they turn golden)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 475F
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise. Use a small spoon to scoop out the inside, leaving 1/2 inch of the zucchini around the edge. Put the scooped zucchini flesh in a clean dish towel and squeeze out the excess moisture. You should have about 1/2 cup left.
- Remove the sausage from the casings and brown in a pan, crumbling it as you cook.
- Mix the zucchini flesh, the sausage crumbles, garlic, egg, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, the tomatoes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Arrange the zucchini in a large casserole. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and lightly season with salt. Stuff each of the cavities with the stuffing mixture, pressing down to get as much in as possible. Scatter the feta cheese over the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until sizzling and golden.
- While the zucchini bakes, make the salsa by mixing together all the ingredients.
- Serve the zucchini with the salsa spooned over the top.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island