Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
The View From the Great Island
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers ~ why should meat eaters get all the comfort food? These colorful stuffed peppers are meatless and delicious!
- 5 colorful bell peppers (try to find similar sized, round peppers that will sit upright)
- 1 cup cooked red rice (or other grain such as farro, quinoa, barley, etc)
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1 parsnip (peeled and diced)
- ½ tsp cumin seed
- ½ tsp hot smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder (or regular chili powder)
- 1 portobello mushroom (diced)
- 1 small head of fennel (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 handful of fresh greens (spinach, kale, or other) chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- for garnish
- crumbled feta, goat, or queso fresco cheese
- Set the oven to 350F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Saute the onion, garlic, potato, parsnip, and spices over medium heat for a few minutes until the onions are translucent and the potato and parsnip are beginning to soften.
- Add the mushroom and the fennel to the pan and saute/stir-fry for about 15 minutes until the veggies are tender.
- Season to taste with the tamari sauce, salt and pepper, and then mix in the chopped greens, thyne, the rice, and cheese. Set aside.
- Trim the tops off your peppers, and gently scoop out the seeds and ribs. Set the peppers into a casserole so they fit snugly together. If they don't stand upright, trim the bottoms just a bit so they do.
- Fill each pepper with the stuffing, right to the top, and even mound it a bit. (At this point you can refrigerate the peppers for a make a head meal.)
- Pour a little water into the bottom of the pan, about 1/4 inch deep.
- Cover the whole pan with foil,crimping the edges so the peppers will steam in the oven.
- Cook for about 40 minutes, or until the peppers are tender. I like my peppers on the firm side, but if you like them softer, you may need extra time in the oven.
- Serve with crumbled feta, goat, or queso fresco cheese on top, and a little parsley for fresh color.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island