Winter Pansy Salad
The View From the Great Island
Winter Pansy Salad with blood orange vinaigrette ~ a colorful salad for your fall and holiday menus, with edible pansies that thrive in cooler months.
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 1 apple, very thinly sliced
- 1 carrot
- ¼ red onion, very thinly sliced
- handful of assorted fresh herbs such as basil, oregano, thyme, leaves only
- 1 ounces creamy goat cheese (use crushed pistachios for vegan)
- pansies, stems removed
- juice of 1 blood orange (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar (or other mild white vinegar)
- pinch salt
- Whisk together the vinaigrette, adjusting any of the ingredients to your taste.
- Pile the greens into a wide salad bowl.
- Peel and shave the carrot into thin strips using a vegetable peeler. Add to the greens along with the apple slices, onion, and herbs. Toss. with the dressing and garnish the salad with crumbles of goat cheese and the pansies. Serve immediately.