Pear Salad with Creamy Walnut Vinaigrette
The View From the Great Island
My Pear Salad with Creamy Walnut Vinaigrette ~ a fall salad with a whole pear that's been thinly sliced and stacked. It's the perfect holiday side salad.
- 2-3 ripe but firm pears
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 cups arugula or other baby lettuce
- 4 tbsp walnuts
- 4-8 tbsp crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola cheese
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp walnuts
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 0.5 cup walnut oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- To make the dressing put the mustard, walnuts, and vinegar in a small food processor. Process for about a minute, then, while the machine is running, drizzle in the oil (there should be a little hole in the top to allow the oil to drizzle slowly in.) When all the oil had been incorporated, scrape down the sides and process until everything is nice and creamy. The longer you process the smoother the consistency will be. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the pear into 1/4 inch slices. I like to use a mandolin slicer for this. Sprinkle the cut slices with the lemon juice to prevent browning, making sure all surfaces are covered.
- Arrange arugula on 4 salad plates and top each pear slices, stacked but fanned out slightly. Scatter the nuts and blue cheese over the plates. Drizzle with the dressing, and season with fresh cracked black pepper.